Holidays – I hate this, I love this!

Holidays started on the 18, after my last exam, English. I screwed up. It doesn’t come as a surprise really; I am Siddharth the fat loser after all. My holidays are already half over and I have done nothing productive. I did nothing but ‘rot’ (using my friend’s terminology) at home.

Yesterday I went to a wedding with my uncles. It was a Brahmin wedding. Very colorful and chaotic, this is the norm in most Hindu weddings. My uncle was the only officially invited guest at the wedding, he knew almost everybody there. The moment we entered he was lost in conversations with his many friends and acquaintances. My other uncle and I were lost; we sat quietly and observed the madness as both of us were aliens in this strange place.

I spend a lot of time quietly observing the people there. It was quiet funny looking at grown men greeting everybody. They were all very loud and excited.

I saw this one lady standing in the corner. She was probably in her late 30s or so but it’s hard to be accurate on things like this. She had streaks of gray and wore a very beautiful purple sari. I think it was the sari that caught my attention. I am a sucker for most things purple. She was different from the other women folk present on that occasion. She had large pretty eyes that sparkled with a child like mischief, a stark contrast to her face which was quiet and reserved. She reminded me of someone; my best friend. I was over come by a variety of emotions. I felt depressed, lonely and wanted to run away and withdraw into my shell. I wanted to cry but I never cry. It was me who slowly pushed her out of my life. I don’t deserve a beautiful person like her or anybody else for that matter. I know this sounds absurd but I believe she was there to remind me of how pathetic I am. I turned away and looked at the window, children were playing outside. They seemed happy.

Few mins later the thali was tied. We were sitting right at the back and didn’t see anything happening but heard the distinct Nadeswaram. Mechanically all of us stood up and threw the ceremonial rice at the couple, mine landed on a lady’s head as I was 100ft or so from the newly weds. It was lunch time after a few mims and we went away downstairs to the basement to eat. The food was delicious. It tasted like the food in my best friends house.

3 comments:

Mark John said...

u write very well dude.. i aint jokin... u really must consider writen as a profession

Ramy said...

dis is really gr8.
n yea i agree wid wat mark says.
u shd seriously consider writin as a profession.
but i'd like u 2 write more bout d purple sari female. i kinda feel sumthin's missin in wat u ve written.
maybe u completely cut off some part o it.

Anonymous said...

hmmm...best friend...