An ode to hope

An ode to hope

I wonder where you went away,
are you truly dead?
or lost to us all?
either way you cease to exist.

even now that you have gone,
your spirit still lingers long,
i still,
feel you in the Internationale,
hear you in a child's laugh,
see you in spring’s blossom.
and i know most believe your still alive,
but I know it’s a beautiful lie,
why did you go away?
leaving us all astray.

I wonder where you went to die,
in desperation I search every kind eye,
look what i have become,
a mendicant now,
here without hope.

in desperation,
I looked for you in the Styx,
in flowing death,
wishing to find,
remnants of your life,
and
I looked for you in Rishikesh,
in flowing life,
wishing to find,
remnants of your death,
i wonder where you went to die.

hope’s last fleeting steps,
across desolate mindscape,
my last memory,
of the great immortal,
infected with mortality.

i wonder where you went to die
i know why you went to die

I wrote this three days back and reworked it today. Something is off here and i'm not happy with this one :( unfortunately I seem to be getting progressively worse instead of getting better. sigh...


OH! and please leave comments
love it or hate it I sooooooooo wanna know!


4 comments:

Adi said...

Am not a very big poem reader or writer. It takes me a good amount of time to read and re read the sentences and:
1. Try to find the literary meaning
2. Find the figurative meaning implied by the author.

So, in my short understanding of poems all i can say is, this poem is FABULOUS. I actually feel it's PHENOMENAL. i loved EVERY line in the poem.

"and i know most believe your still alive,
but I know it’s a beautiful lie"
Loved this particular line.

"I looked for you in the Styx,
in flowing death,
wishing to find,
remnants of your life"

I also enjoyed your idea of SEARCHING for the REMANANTS of hope. he he. Very innovative usage of the words.
You ended by saying i know where you (hope) went to die.

It really shows about your mindset. you really feel that there is no hope left in this world at all? That is BAD my friend. What an insult to the president of USA.
I dont AGREE with your poem,but i enjoyed the usage of words and the manner in which the idea and the sentences were crafted. I am taking a copy of this fo my family to read. Nice work.

Ramy said...

"and i know most believe your still alive,
but I know it’s a beautiful lie"

it's amazin how u get 2 think lyk dis magaa!!!
nice poem! but does it refer 2 sum1? ;)

Adi said...

I keep coming back to this one. Its beautiful.

Ruben Das said...

This one is one of the best poems I have ever read. Even the idea that an ode to hope can be written is bizarre and the way you have written it makes it real; Kudos to that! Thank you for the beautiful lines. Keep writing!! :)