Weird updates 2399

Interesting Bengali Food

I had lunch at K.C.Das today, a Bengali sweet and snack shop that's located on the intersection between St Mark's Road and Church Street. It's a nice place for three reasons - reasonable prices, good food and nice decor (I like the minimalist look).

For lunch I had a paneer cutlet, poori with dal and potato curry and of course the famous K.C.Das Sweet curds!
The paneer cutlet was excellent and it tasted especially nice with the tamarind sauce. What I liked about this cutlet was the lightness of it. It's crust was thin and the whole cutlet itself felt light. If you are used to the regular cutlets we get in Bangalore, like me, you will know what I am talking about. The cutlet was also quiet bland and it might not be to everybody's liking but i loved it! The pooris were next. The pooris at K.C.Das where thinner and crispier than the usual pooris we get in most darshinis in the south. The pooris were also quiet pale; i like to call them albino pooris! Anyways, regardless of color they tasted great and where complimented with the thick dal and potato curry. The dal was also excellent and it was slightly sweetish which i liked. The potato curry was quiet good too, but the dal was the start here! Finally I finished it off with a cup of sweet curds which I very much relished.

Total bill – 50 (40 for the food + 10 bucks tips)
That's pretty reasonable and in fact cheap considering the location (St marks road is at the heart of the city) and the nice air conditioned ambiance.

A paan at the popular Maghai paanwalla, next to kohsy's restaurant would have been a perfect end to the perfect meal but the idiot didn't have any change! I think he expected me to go and get change and if he taught i was desperate enough to go and search for change, then he was right! Unfortunately none of the close by shops had change so I went back to college pan-less :(

I believe in angels


After the nice satisfying and sprite lifting lunch I walked back to college and got hold of my classmates I had to cover a talk on 'local welfare in the global context' (for the college paper). Anyways the funny part was i had to walk back to the very same road i went out for lunch in. Walked on the same road four times today actually – once while going out for lunch, going back to college (to get my classmate) and walking back to that road to find the place my classmate had to go to listen to the seminar and then back again to college passing that same road! The talk we were supposed to cover was going on in a hotel in St Marks road and we didn't know where it was exactly except for the fact that it was on this road! So i was asking directions and suddenly this girl comes up to me and this follows -

Girl – Hey (with a concerned smile) your from Joseph's right?

ME – yeah... (with a puzzled yet annoyed tone, puzzled because i was wondering why some random person walked up to me and told me she was from my college and annoyed because i was in the middle of a conversation with an auto driver trying to find out where this dam place was!)


Girl – no ... because i am also from Joseph's. (sounding quiet calm and friendly)

Me – oooooook (was really trying to find out what the hell she was trying to get at because i had a route to fig out!)

Girl – what are u doing here actually?

Me – I ... a ... actually ... do you know where this place is? (shows her the newspaper with the address)

Girl – no because i went to my aunty's house for lunch and i saw you walking around and now you are still here (she said this with what appears to be genuine concern. I have a strange feeling she taught i was a madman of sorts! Sigh...)

ME – Hey! I came were for lunch and then went back to college and brought my classmate along. (pointing to the girl sitting on the half wall) I have to cover a seminar for the college paper. I'm from the mass communication department.

Girl – Oh... anyways show me the address... ya well im not sure but it is on this road itself.

Me – Hey anyways thanks... i will find it (and i gave her a friendly smile)

Girl – Ok then. (polity nods and gives me a smile and walks off.)

Meanwhile my classmate was sitting on a half wall quiet some distance anyway, conveniently away from all this! I walk up and tell her about this bizarre encounter! She laughs and we begin to formulate search methods to find the blessed place! A minute later the girl comes back to where we were and tells us she asked some people and gives us directions to the place! I was so touched with the little gesture of kindness and we were grateful to her for doing our work!


She appeared like an angel and when I think about it, small doses of kindness do a lot. She really made my afternoon. Even now after a hard and tiring evening, (got blasted by my teacher and when i came home we had to clear some stuff cause of a new bed and stuff), i still get a smile when i think about the angel that surly thought I was a madman! If there were more people like her I'm sure the world would have been a better place.

'Twinkle Lamp'

Found an old lamp and i think it looks pretty cool! I always wanted a lava lamp, and this technically isn't a lava lamp but it's still nice. Looks especially grand in the dark!



clicked a bunch of photos and used picasa to create this collage.



would love to hear your comment! as for me, i shall be off to bed now!














6 comments:

Adi said...

a girl.... hmmm...

Anonymous said...

I think I had better edit before you load the blog. What say?

siddarth said...

to anonymous - ya i totally agree with u, this blog needs tons of editing! mistakes can fall out from all places!

would love to know who this is! :)

and i apologise for all the errors!

Ravi Paul said...

Well written:)
I too have come across many such extremely helpful people; they do, at least, if temperarily, make me feel this world is a nice place after all...

Olive Oyl said...

i couldnt find the link to comments in the bengali food post:

though i am in calcutta my sister used to stay at bangalore till a year ago so i've gobbled up stuff at koshy's and that k c das nearby as well :P k.c dass has always been good everywhere :p

ah.. nostalgia :p

siddarth said...

U found it! and commented correctly! :)

he he he :)

thank u for ur comments :)